Premium Bike Rental
How to Rent A Bike From The Extra Mile
- Select the bike to rent and choose the city-rental or road-trip mode.
- Download our standard contracts here.
- If the conditions look good, let us know your rental dates.
- Select add-ons:
Helmets: up to 2 per rental for free
Raincoat and/or phone holder also for free
Givi Top Cases if required from 200,000 VND/month to 400,000 VND/month depending on sizes. Flat fee for road trips regardless of the rental duration
Damage Waiver at 10% or 20% extra over the monthly rental rate, for city-rentals only.
- Select a Social Media app for communications. (We prefer Whatsapp, but we use Messenger, Zalo and Instagram too.)
- Provide us an address for delivery or pick the bike up at our place.
- Sign the contract, sort payment out and get ready to enjoy your bike.
City-rentals are charged daily, weekly, biweekly or monthly. These are meant to stay in the city only for daily urban commuting. City-rental considers a range of 20kms to 50kms per day, which reaches an estimated maximum of 1,500kms matching our maintenance schedule. Evidently the amount of kilometers in city-rentals could be a lot lower or even a little bit higher, but the pricing remains charged per the period of time.
Road-trip rentals are charged daily only, though a deal may be reached depending on the complete itinerary of the customer. For road-trip rentals, customers may drive over 100kms/day for which not all bikes are suitable. We only have a small selection of automatic bikes that we allow for road trips, then all manual bikes are allowed to. Given the large difference in the kilometers ran in a shorter distance, the price is at least 3 times higher than city-rental given that more maintenance will be needed and the bike gets older faster accelerating its depreciation.
In order to make a booking, we require the following:
- A picture of your passport
- Your address in Vietnam.
- Your phone number in Vietnam. Alternatively a foreign whatsapp number works.
Normally, yes. Either a local A1 license or an International driving permit for category A1 or A is accepted along with the original license and an official translation to Vietnamese.
Should our customers drive without a valid driving license and be stopped by police at a control, the customer will be responsible to cover all police costs in order to recover the vehicle. Customers must be aware that driving without a license incurs fines (officially) from 2.4M VND to 3.8M VND. An external arrangement may be reached between the customer and the police to avoid a fine, however that remains unrelated to The Extra Mile.
Yes, we accept card payments by POS at our office or which we can take to you as we deliver the bike. An additional fee between 1.5% and 2.9% will be charged for card payments.
No, short-term rentals have a different rate. The monthly rental is considered long-term, from a month of rental the daily rate is the lowest we have. If you rent for short-term, like for every other rental business model the daily rates are higher the shortest the period is. So, please do not assume that a short-term rental is just a division of the monthly rate.
- Daily (from 2 to 4 days) – 1 day equals 10% of the monthly rate.
- Weekly (from 5 to 7 days) – 1 week equals 50% of the monthly rate.
- 2 Weeks (10 to 15 days) – 2 weeks is approximately 75% of the monthly rate.
- We do not accept 1 day rentals for city-rentals. We do accept them for road-trip rentals only.
We do apply loyalty discounts once the customers reached a certain rental period such as 6, 12, 24 or 26 months.
We follow the same structure as the short-term rental rates in case of early returns.
- Our turf: Free – Thu Duc City (D2, D9 and Thu Duc), Binh Thanh, D1, D3, Phu Nhuan, D4, D7 Tan Binh, D5, D10 and D11
- HCMC further Districts: 50,000 VND – 200,000 VND – Go Vap, Tan Binh, Tan Phu, D6, D8
- Peripheral HCMC: 200,000 VND – 300,000 VND – D12, Binh Tan, Nha Be, Binh Chanh, Cu Chi and Can Gio
- Neighbouring Provinces: 100,000 VND – 500,000 VND – Deliveries to the provinces of Binh Duong, Dong Nai, Long An and Tay Ninh depending on the location. Some locations that are too far away will be refused for delivery.
- Nationwide: 1,200,000 VND – 2,500,000 VND – We ship bikes nationwide with case per case conditions to be discussed with the customer.
- At Tan Son Nhat Airport: 200,000 VND – We pick-up or deliver the bike inside the airport’s parking lot.
All our bikes will come with a notarized copy of the registration (official document) and the legal compulsory insurance. We recommend keeping the rental contract with the documents for better acceptance from traffic police.
The legal insurance in the form of a yellow paper is only a requirement to be carried for police controls. It doesn’t actually cover in case of accident or damage. Unfortunately there is no proper insurance like in western countries, the customers will have to take responsibility in case of damage, loss or theft.
We may arrange a proper insurance for rental contracts of 1 year or over only. There will be an additional cost to be discussed with the customer.
We now offer Damage Waiver at 10% or 20% of the monthly rental value for city-rental only. Customers who sign a contract for at least a year may obtain damage insurance provided by a third-party. We will be the ones arranging it.
WILL MY PRIVATE INSURANCE COVER ME IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT?
Your private insurance will normally cover you if you have a valid driving license only. All of our bikes have the necessary documents required in case your insurance requires it.
We handle all maintenance and fixing of the bikes. We require customers not to take the bike to a mechanic without our consent. For any need of maintenance or fixing, contact us and we will arrange the bike pick-up and provide you a replacement bike in the meantime.
The Extra Mile takes responsibility to fix all mechanic problems. We provide replacement bikes while we handle the customer’s bike. Our average response time on site ranges from 10 minutes to 30 minutes (anywhere in the city.)
- From Monday to Friday: From 9am to 6pm.
- Saturdays: 9am to 5pm.
- Sundays: We only accept appointments with prior notice.
- Delivery and pick-up times: From 9am to 5pm, any day (Sundays with prior notice)
- Overtime cases’ Fees:
- 100,000 VND: From 7.30am to 8.30am and from 6pm to 7.30pm if the task is at our office. From 7.30am to 9am and from 5pm to 7.30pm if the task is at the customer’s location.
- 200,000 VND: For tasks before 7.30am or after 7.30pm. 9pm is our maximum. If a task is requested after 9pm, a fee may be discussed with the customer.
Only for emergencies, we do. For example a bike failure without immediate solution possible or a traffic accident. For non-urgent cases at late night we ask customers to park the bike safely nearby for us to then handle the issue first thing in the morning. Should there be no issue with the bike and the emergency be the result of user failure, we will be entitled to charge an overtime fee plus respective transport fees.
For the City-Rental service, we limit to urban commuting. Customers may opt for the road-trip rental option for which we have a dedicated fleet of bikes. Customers may request us for occasional trips to nearby provinces and we may ask for an extra fee depending on the distances to be driven. The customer must be aware that our support in other provinces will only happen by phone.
The security of parking lots will not allow you to take the bike out if you lost the parking ticket. Should that happen, take the notarized copy of the registration from the trunk and show them. They will take pictures of the document together with your ID, then you may need to sign a document in order to take out the bike.
If the tire has a puncture, the customer is required to fix it at a local mechanic. This costs between 20k and 50k VND and the customer is responsible to cover it. The word to fix a tire is: vá vỏ.
If the puncture is too large and not fixable, we will have to replace the tire. In this case, The Extra Mile is responsible only if the tire is older than 1 year old or has ridden over 10,000kms. If the tire is newer than that, then it counts as physical damage under the customer’s responsibility. We send you a staff to handle the bike while we provide you a replacement. Once the tire is replaced we may arrange a new appointment to exchange the bikes back.
Please, do not replace a tire without our consent.
If a mechanic says he cannot fix the tire and needs to replace it or do some other work, do not agree and call us immediately.
The same applies if you are unable to communicate with the mechanic because of the language barrier, please call us and we will handle it.
In case of theft the customer will be fully responsible to compensate The Extra Mile with the value of the bike. The value of each model is stated in the rental conditions for the knowledge of the customer prior to the rental. Theft is an issue in Vietnam however there are simple steps the customers can take to keep the bike safely.
The bike should never be left on the street without surveillance. When going to a shop or restaurant always ask the staff where to park safely. Most places will have a security guard indicating you where to park and depending on the place they may provide you with a parking ticket. If the place does not have a security guard, please ask the staff to direct you to a public parking lot. Public parking lots will always provide you a ticket, do not accept leaving the bike without a ticket. At home, please do not leave the bike outside of your gate, not even for a minute if you’re on your way out. Bikes can be taken in 10 seconds, so always park the bike inside whenever being home.
The most common infractions the police stops drivers for are:
- Not wearing a helmet.
- Driving on the car lane. Please, pay attention to the road signs indicating the specific car and bike lanes. Bike lanes are on the right side and sometimes the middle lane of a 3 lanes street is shared for all vehicles.
- Excessive speeding. Speed limits in Ho Chi Minh City are of 40, 50 and 60km/h. Please, pay attention to the limit signs, noticeable speeding will stand out and attract police attention.
- Illegal turns. Check very well the signs forbidding a specific turn.
- Reckless driving. Reckless and dangerous driving behavior may be penalized when noticed.
- There is from January 1st 2020 a 0 tolerance on any alcohol content in the blood. Hefty fines and license suspensions are being given to drivers having even the lowest possible level of alcohol in the blood. Please, do not drink and drive.
You may arrange your way out of a fine with a polite and friendly attitude, as well as apologetic for your mistake. Should the case not be severe, a “tip” could work. Our advice is to follow the lead of the police officer, but if you do not feel comfortable with a specific request call us for support.
In the worst case scenario be ready for a fine and a potential confiscation of the bike. You may call us to help you mediate with the police but we cannot make guarantees. Should the bike be confiscated, we will come to the police station to deal with the situation accordingly.